Glencadam opened in 1825, in the ancient city of Brechin, a little more than one year after the Excise Act of 1823 legalised distilling. The first owner was a Mr Cooper, who sold the distillery in 1827.
Glencadam is now the only distillery in the county of Angus, an area of the Highlands region of Scotland. The name Glencadam comes from the area known as The Tenements of Caldhame. These were plots of ground given to the burghs of Brechin for food production. They were situated to the north and south east of the Den Burn where the distillery stands.
The distillery was owned by a David Scott and his descendants from 1827- 1891 and during this period it was rented to various distillers. Over the next few decades the distillery had a succession of owners.
Glencadam mothballed during both world wars, the warehouses were instead used to barrack soldiers. There is still a mark on the grass by No. 2 warehouse where their commissary was. Glencadam was bought in the 1950s by Hiram Walker, which subsequently became Allied Domeq, who closed the distillery in 2000.
Glencadam was finally bought by Angus Dundee Distillers on 1st June 2003, an independent Scottish company. Angus Dundee restarted production immediately and released their first ever single malt product, Glencadam Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Aged 15 Years, in December 2005.